Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Space and Food


On this post, I talked about reactivating. TODAY, I would say almost the exact same thing.....EXCEPT now I have learned that for me "reactivating" happens every time there is a decision to be made about food.

Recently I have reduced the amount of pressure I put on my joints, in other words, I lost weight. 30ish pounds to be exact! It is a major accomplishment for me but at the same time a thorn in my side.  About the time I stopped blogging in late 2009/early 2010, I started to develop, I mean nurture bad habits again. I had lost about 35 pounds back then, and through a series of very challenging circumstances (aka "life")  I decided to put my health and my priorities on the back-burner. As a result, I gained the weight back and developed high blood pressure.

In a leadership class a few weeks ago, the facilitator made a simple comment in passing regarding resolving conflict. She said "Put some space between stimulus and your response. That space is where a decision/choice is made".  That really struck me as it applies to living a healthier lifestyle and wisely choosing what to put into my mouth.  I can now freely admit that I am an emotional eater, I stuff emotions down and try to put LOTS of effort into keeping them stuffed. Which means I was living in complete denial!  Looking back, as I was growing up I don't recall being taught how to deal with emotions or how to eat healthy. To ADD to that I my personality leans HEAVILY toward perfectionism.

More to come as I process through this.................



No comments: